Thursday 2 July 2009

Powerful Women of Fashion

There has been quite a lot in the press lately about the Devil Wears Prada icon that is Anna Wintour, editor of American Vogue and hailed as the most powerful woman in fashion. Times 2 today sings her accolades – “Nuclear Winter”, “Darth Vader in a frock” – and quotes Barbara Amiel: “Anna happens to be a friend of mine, a fact which is of absolutely no help in coping with the cold panic that grips me whenever we meet.”

One of Anna’s recent revelations is that she wears shades indoors so that she can “sit in a show and if I am bored out of my mind, nobody will notice. At this point, they have become, really, armour.”

http://tinyurl.com/lr93zw

I wonder if Anna knows that she actually has a lot in common with the now-forgotten American radical feminist Ti-Grace Atkinson who also wore shades indoors as armour, who was passive-aggressive in the extreme and exhibited the same kind of high maintenance aura she does. (Using the past tense may suggest Ti-Grace is dead. She isn’t.) Maybe the two should meet.

Anyhow, I would much rather talk to Miuccia Prada than Anna Wintour any day of the week.

http://tinyurl.com/lwfhg9
http://tinyurl.com/d9g8zf

2 comments:

Paul Taberham said...

I wonder if Wintour and Ti-Grace would actually get on. I should imagine not, but I really don't know.

But I have this theory that people who assume radical positions will always have something in common, whichever side of the coin they sit on. Not sure if that's relevant, just musing...

Karen Burke said...

If they got on or not, it would be great to watch!