Sunday 19 April 2009

Underwater Swimming

This week I discovered the magical sensation of swimming backwards underwater. So magical, that I almost forgot to share the experience with anyone!

Swimming backwards underwater (where your back faces the bottom of the pool) is not the same as swimming forwards underwater because the breathing control is different. This has to do with the fact that the nostrils are facing towards the surface and, of course, gravity is weighting the water into them. This isn't a problem when you are swimming forwards underwater (with your stomach facing towards the bottom of the pool). The balance is also different, more complicated, but the reward is not just the sensation but the visual aesthetic of the water's surface from underneath (I recommend goggles).

It is an art I have yet to master but I think it will be well worth the effort.

A fellow swimmer once told me she loved underwater because her heart rate slowed and it calmed her down. Swimming underwater actually involves a lot of concentration - when you are starting out. Then, when you learn to master your breathing, the pleasure of underwater swimming really kicks in.

2 comments:

Paul Taberham said...

- just try not to get too calm when you're underwater. Dangerous!

Karen Burke said...

I find breathing control helps heighten other things too.