Thursday 23 April 2009

By-Election

Anyone who has walked past our house over the past few weeks will know who I am voting for today. I have never put an electioneering poster in the window before, but because the BNP has tried to grow roots in our ward, I took on the self-imposed social responsibility to show other voters who I won’t be voting for by showing who I will be voting for. And I thought I would do my bit to show democracy in action.

This has turned into a crazy by-election with six candidates, including UKIP. The BNP canvassed out house again last week. This time the pamphlet was slightly more sophisticated than the last one (sophistication relative to the BNP). They are really trying to push it. Hope Not Hate came around as well with the headline DON’T VOTE FOR SCUM on the front of their leaflet (not so hopeful a headline).

Anyway, away from the election mania, here is a picture I took of the bluebells in Wanstead Park last night (it was taken on a mobile phone). We bumped into a couple who said they had lived in Wanstead for 17 years and had never known about the bluebells! They may have been more excited about the blackberries that come out by the lake in the autumn, but we forgot to mention that.

1 comment:

Paul Taberham said...

Nice bluebells!

The 'don't vote for scum' thing. I would guess they are trying to pitch to the people who would vote for the BNP in the first place, rather than preach to the converted. I'm not sure what kind of tone or form or rhetoric would be suitable. Hm.