Sunday 11 January 2009

Solidarity With Israel Protest For Peace

A couple of my friends told me to watch out when I said I would be attending the Solidarity With Israel call for peace today in Trafalgar Square. But I said I was sure that this crowd would not have a violent mob at its head and would be calling for peace by acting peacefully. And that is precisely how the thousands of protesters behaved this morning - with civility, respect and a genuine compassion for peace and an end to death and suffering for the civilians of Gaza and Israel.

The speakers called for an end to the violence and suffering endured by Gazans and Israelis, an end to Hamas terror and a peaceful existence for Palestinians and Israelis living side by side. I couldn't make out what the lone counter-protester with his own loud-hailer was shouting at Chief Rabbi Dr Sir Jonathan Sacks, but it was gesticulated with rage. I wonder if the young man could hear what Rabbi Sacks was saying? Thousands of us were echoing Rabbi Sacks' words: "Yes to Peace". It saddened me that the young man with the loud-hailer couldn't hear what we were all saying to him.

I was particularly pleased that there were Christian messages of support, such as the one expressed by the Bishop of Manchester which was read out to the reported 35,000 of us in Trafalgar Square, and that there were words of support from Sikh and Hindu representatives. It would have been great if there had been a message of peace for Isrealis and Palestinians from a Muslim representative at a rally that was not calling for peace by advocating the destruction of Israel. I wonder why that didn't happen?

1 comment:

Paul Taberham said...

probably the same reason why there aren't more outspoken muslims who oppose fundamentalism

it's a sad predicament for a religion to have a share of its members be afraid of another group of its members

glad to hear there were words of support from christians, sikhs and hindus