Friday 14 November 2008

9/11 Conspiracy Theorists

The other night as I was walking to Donmar Warehouse from Covent Garden Tube, I spotted a man on the corner of street shouting, "The truth about 9/11!" and waving a bunch of DVDs in the air. I took my headphones off and stopped because just a couple of weeks earlier in a Vegan Cafe in Hackney, the guy I was with was trying to tell me the same thing - that 9/11 was an American conspiracy.

How many people actually believe this?!

The man on the street corner was from a political organisation called We Are Change in London and was giving out free DVDs with "explosive evidence" that would supposedly dispel the "myth" that if a Drone Boeing 737 explodes in the middle of a tower block, the building would not then crumble to the ground but be able to withstand the force. An advert for Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth run by Richard Gage was all over the DVD cover release with plenty of information about where to give him and his organisation "financial monthly commitment". How big an industry is this movement?

I have just checked out the website where there are also calls for an investigation into the "truth" behind the 7/7 bombings. What, exactly, would that truth be? That the 7/7 bombers were M15 agents supported by the CIA and the Bush administration?!

The paranoia permeates into the Obama era...

No comments: